Brown Squeaks Past Crimson Icewomen As Harvard Suffers Fifth Setback, 6-5

By Nancy F. Bauer

The theme for this year's icewomen is rapidly becoming "The score doesn't tell the whole-story."

Once again, the Crimson fought a tough battle, but Brown squeaked past Harvard, 6-5, last night at Meehan Arena in Providence and dropped the icewomen's record to 0-5.

The score was knotted three time during the game--at 1-1, 2-2, and 3-3--but Brown pushed ahead to stay during the third stanza.

"We can't say they were lucky--they won.

They played a good game," co-captain Lauren Norton said. "But we did come on a little slow in the beginning."

That doesn't mean, however, that the Bruins didn't have to fight for the win. Although Brown dominated throughout period one, the Crimson defense held them to only one tally.

Norton made it 1-1 in the second period, scoring the first third of her evening's hat trick.

The two teams traded goals for the rest of the second stanza. Co-captain Firkins Reed slipped the puck past Bruin goalie Janice Moody for the Crimson's second goal, but Brown had the last word, ending the period with a 3-2 advantage.

That goal-for-goal story continued--with freshman center Alex Lightfoot tallying Harvard's number three--until the Bruins pushed ahead, 5-3. The Crimson threatened again with Norton's second goal of the evening, but Brown got one by Harvard goalie Katie Williams for the gamewinner and held Norton to only one more before the final buzzer.

"Our passing was a lot better and we were hustling pretty well," Norton said. "We really didn't have enough shots, though," she added.

That same problem plagued the Crimson at Bright Center last month when Brown handed Harvard its third loss of this season, 3-0.

Last night's loss puts Harvard at 0-3 in Ivy League competition, but tomorrow night's contest at Princeton will give the Crimson a good opportunity to break into the win column.

"If Princeton's at all like they were last year," Norton explained, "we should win."

If not, remember: the score doesn't tell the whole story.