Soviets Continue to Send Forces Into Afghanistan

KABUL, Afghanistan--Diplomatic sources said yesterday the Soviet Union has moved additional men and armor into Afghanistan, but Moslem guerrillas closed a strategic highway linking the U.S.S.R. with Kabul, the Afghan capital.

Sources also said that an Afghan army brigade fought with Soviet troops near Kandahar, in southwestern Afghanistan. Both sides reportedly suffered heavy casualties.

Afghan sources and Asian diplomats in Kabul, quoting Afghan military officials and travelers just returned from the combat area, said that fighting Tuesday blocked the Salang Highway about 90 miles north of Kabul.

Join the Fun

The Soviets sent three more divisions into Afghanistan this week, the sources said, bringing to seven the number of divisions moved in during the past two weeks.

Meanwhile, Afghanistan's new pro-Soviet government broadcast a letter to President Carter yesterday accusing the United States of "trying with all its forces to work against us."

In addition, the official Soviet news agency Tass said yesterday in a dispatch from Kabul that an American Roman Catholic mission in the capital had been functioning as an "underground center" for recruiting "counter-revolutionary agents" to circulate "subversive literature. "Tass said the mission was part of the American cultural center run by the U.S. Embassy.