Government Agency Cites B&G For Violation of Safety Code

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) last December cited the Department of Buildings and Grounds for one violation of federal safety regulations, a report released last week stated.

"Caution signs were not used while the asbestos work was being performed," the citation stated. The violation was observed in the Harvard steam tunnels during an OSHA inspection November 16.

The steam tunnels underneath the University are insulated with asbestos fibers which, when airborne, can cause lung cancer.

"Signs were posted a day or two after the citing," J. Lawrence Joyce, director of Buildings and Grounds, said last week.

Kevin P. McManus, industrial hygienist for OSHA, said Buildings and Grounds was "very cooperative" with the OSHA inspectors. "They've gone above and beyond what they have to do," McManus said.

McManus said he found "quite a few" employees who were not trained to deal with asbestos, but added that Buildings and Grounds informed him they would redirect their asbestos training program to include all Buildings and Grounds employees.

"A notice about asbestos was sent out in every B&G paycheck," Louis J. DiBerrardinis, industrial hygienist for University Health Services, said last Friday.

In addition, DiBerardinis said he would hold area meetings to inform each shift of workers about asbestos insulation and safety equipment.

"At least now every worker has my name and telephone number," DiBerardinis said. Workers who believe they are dealing with asbestos should notify B&G management or him, DiBerardinis added.

Workers are starting to map out the five miles of steam tunnels, and Harvard plans to paint all the asbestos insulted areas.