Law Group Fights Justice Dept. Move

By Kenneth J. Ryan

The Harvard Jewish Law Students Association (HJLSA) sent a telegram last Thursday to President Carter, Attorney General Benjamin R. Civiletti, and House Speaker Thomas P. O'Neill (D-Mass.), protesting the reassignment of Justice Department Nazi war-crimes investigator Martin Mendelsohn.

Philip B. Heymann, assistant attorney general in charge of the criminal division, confirmed Mendelsohn's removal from his post as deputy director of the Office of Special Investigations, effective today, in an article which appeared in yesterday's New York Times.

The Law students, who support the government's efforts to deport Nazi war criminals, said they are "outraged."

In the telegram, the HJLSA cited Mendelsohn's unique expertise in Nazi criminal law, his ability to gain the legal cooperation of communist governments in prosecuting war criminals, and his excellent relations with the Jewish community as reasons he should not be reassigned.

Walter Mondale

"A highly placed aide in the Carter White House" called the HJLSA Friday to assure them that their telegram would have "maximum circulation to all persons who should see it," a spokesman for the HJLSA said yesterday. He added that the aide also gave his assurance that no action would be taken soon on Mendelsohn's reassignment.

"I'd like to think he (the Carter aide) didn't have the full story from the Justice Department when he called," an HJLSA spokesman said.

I'm Okay, You're Okay

Heymann, who is on leave from the Harvard Law School Faculty, said Mendelsohn, who initiated the government program to investigate Nazi war criminals in 1977, was being reassigned because if a "personality conflict" with the director of the Office of Special Investigations, Walter J. Rockler.

Fire and Brimstone

"I don't think that's the answer," Allen M. Wieder, president of HJLSA, said yesterday. "Since Rockler is leaving the department in March, I question the veracity of Heymann's explanation," he added.

A Laughing Matter

HJLSA members said Mendelsohn's reassignment could ruin the government's effort. "With Mendelsohn's departure, foreign governments will now longer take seriously our commitment to prosecuting Nazi war criminals and neither will citizens at home," an HJLSA spokesman said.