Racquetwomen Defeat Defeat Dartmouth, 5-2, Extend Unbeaten Streak to 5 Matches

The Harvard racquetwomen stretched their unbeaten streak to five last Saturday by defeating Dartmouth 5-2. Neither a two-week Christmas layoff nor the foreign courts of frosty Hanover, N.H., were enough to stop the strong Crimson squash team from overpowering the Big Green.

Veterans Becky Tung and Margo McGlade, playing one and two, returned after a two-match absence to bring Harvard squad to full strength. Both Tung and McGlade, though, fell to tough Dartmouth opponents in the only two Crimson losses of the afternoon.

Tung's loss was a heartbreaker: "The turning point came in the third game," Tung said. "We were tied 14 all, and I lost it on a dribbler that hit a nick in the wall. I played well, I think, but I still have to work on my court attitude, especially my concentration.

Come Home

Senior Sarah Mleczko, playing at the number three spot, eked out three close games to defeat her Dartmouth opponent 3-0. Having recovered from a ligament pull earlier in the season, Mleczko has steadily moved up the ladder from her original number eight position.

The rest of the afternoon was all down hill, as the racquetwomen coasted through the next six matches without dropping a single game.

Freshmen Jackie Corrigan and Lisa Harrison, numbers four and five, had little trouble eliminating their opponents 3-0. The addition of Corrigan and Harrison to last year's returning 11-2 squad has provided Crimson coach Jack Barnaby with a truly formidable lineup.

Other Crimson victors in the match included Courtney Stimpson, captain Jenny Stone, Wendy Sonnebend and Libby Pierpont.

The most significant performance of the day by freshman Silvia Whitman, playing her first varsity match ever. Whitman showed great poise and promise for upcoming seasons in her 3-1 victory on Saturday.

A team with many strong consistent players, the racquetwomen have continued to dominate teams boasting only one or two standouts. Explained are all very close. Number 7 could play number 3 on any given day. The line-up is constantly changing."

The racquetwomen return to face a tough Williams team this Saturday at Hemenway Gym. If they continue to play strongly and manage to quell the jitters of upcoming exams, the streak can streak can stay alive.