Racquetwomen Coast, 9-0

Pe, Roberts Win Twice

Coming off a tough weekend of tournament play, the women's tennis team coasted to a 9-0 shutout of hapless Trinity yesterday at the Soldiers Field courts. The Crimson racquetwomen totally dominated their guests, dropping only one set all afternoon.

Harvard put the match away early, winning at all six singles spots and allowing Coach Peter Felske to give varsity experience to some newcomers in the doubles segment.

Maria Pe, Meg Meyer, and Abby Meiselman all used strong baseline games to wear out the visitors in their singles matches. Captain Martha Roberts came up with some good play at the net to down her opponent 6-1, 6-4 in number three singles. Down 3-1 early in the second set, Roberts regained her concentration to break her opponent's serve and glide on to the victory.

Felske gave special praise to freshman Erica Schulman for an "exceptionally strong match" in the number two slot. Schulman finished her match quickly as she overpowered a weaker Eleanor Knobloch with good groundstrokes to bring home an easy 6-2, 6-1 win.

Sophomore Debbie Kalish also drew the praise of her coach for a comeback win at number five. Suffering from an injury to her right ankle, Kalish lost a close first set 5-7. Obviously affected by the pain in her foot, she had a trainer examine it and retape it between sets.

Coach Felske felt at this point that it might be better for Kalish to stop in order to protect the ankle. Choosing to continue, she went on to win the next two sets convincingly, even though the match halted one more time for work on the ankle.

With a 6-0 lead after singles play, Felske scheduled Liz Siegel, Andrea Gerlin, and Susan Morgenstein for their first varsity appearances in the doubles matches.

All three of the rookies played well: The third doubles team of Siegel and Gerlin easily disposed of their opponents in straight sets, and Morgenstein combined with Kristen Mertz for a victory over Trinity's second pair. Losing 5-3 at one point, Morgenstein and Mertz came on strong to carry off a 7-5, 6-2 triumph. Maria Pe and Martha Roberts lost only one game in recording the other doubles win.

Harvard will get a chance to prove its prowess once again this weekend when the racquetwomen host the Greater Boston Championships. The Crimson breezed to victory in last year's GBC's and looks to retain its title for another year.