Philadelphia Rally in Ninth Gives Phils 4-3 Win, 3-2 Lead

Mike Schmidt powered a two-run homer, then triggered a ninth-inning Philadelphia rally with a single as the Phillies, true to their postseason form, came from behind for a 4-3 victory over the Kansas City Royals in Sunday's pivotal fifth World Series game.

The victory, after two straight losses, sent the Phillies home for Tuesday night's sixth game with a 3-2 lead in the best-of-seven game Series. They will bid for their first World Championship with ace Steve Carlton facing Kansas City's Rich Gale.

It was another case of a late-inning effort for the Phillies, a Comeback Gang throughout the National League playoffs and first two contests in the 1980 Series. But the Phillies had to survive a serious ninth-inning scoring threat by the Royals.

The Phillies went into the ninth inning trailing 3-2, but refused to quit.

Schmidt, who had smashed a towering two-run homer in the fourth, opened the ninth with a shot that glanced off third baseman George Brett's glove for a single.

Pinch-hitting specialist Del Unser, batting for Lonnie Smith, rolled a double into the right field corner and, as the ball bounced around, Schmidt was waved home. He slid in with the tying run as his teammates spilled out of the dugout to great him.