Now Princeton Reigns on Gridders' Parade, 7-3

By Jeffrey R. Toobin, Special to The Crimson

PRINCETON, N.J.--"We needed the ball in the end zone," said a dejected Joe Restic after Saturday's 7-3 loss to Princeton, and there was very little else to say.

His team had played an admirable game in appalling, rain-soaked conditions; his fullback, Jim Callinan, had played the best game of his career with 100 yds. rushing: his defense had recovered from last week and played a generally superb game. But Restic also left something important unsaid.

The Multiflex needs a top-flight quarterback.

Harvard hungered after a big play Saturday--just one long pass, one open field run--and through Callinan, Paul Conners (82 yds.) and Tom Beatrice (53 yds.) came up with several quick openers, the big play--and consequently, the touchdown--never came.

As it turned out, the Crimson's first chance was its best. After taking the kickoff at their own 15, fourth-string junior quarterback Mark Marion and the offense set off on the most impressive Harvard ground attack of the season.

Misdirection

Beatrice took a misdirection hand-off--the same play he and the injured Brian Buckley worked so well against Columbia and Holy Cross--17 yds. up the middle to the Harvard 43. On the next play, a personal foul against the Tigers took Harvard to the Princeton 39. Two plays later, Callinan rumbled 12 yds. to the Princeton 10.

After Beatrice lost a yard, Marion set up for his first pass of the game. He faked a handoff to Beatrice and looked over the middle to tight end Chuck Marshall in the end zone. The quarterback hesitated a second too long, underthrew Marshall and free safety Dave Gutzke picked it off. For the second consecutive week, Marion's first pass of the game had been intercepted.

After Harvard's 75 yd. march went for naught, Princeton took over at its own 20 and went 80 yds. in 15 plays for the only touchdown of the game. Quarterback Mark Lockenmeyer, last week's ECAC player of the week for his role in the Tiger's 14--10 victory over Colgate, hit flanker Lew Leone for two passes and 26 yds. and ran for 41 more in the march. The quarterback ran it in from the five with 6:16 remaining in the first quarter to give the Tigers their 7-0 lead.

Drive

After the kick-off, Callinan and Conners--aided by a crucial third down defensive holding penalty against Princeton--again combined to bring the Crimson downfield against a Princeton defense that had three starters out with injuries. Callinan compiled 21 yds. and Connors 15 as the Crimson moved to the Princeton 13. But the gridders went no further, and Dave Cody came in to nail a 30-yd. field goal.

That was it for the game's scoring, 56 seconds into the second quarter. For the rest of the day, Harvard found only frustration. The Crimson reached the Princeton 14 late in the second quarter but consecutive holding and delay-of-game penalties took Harvard back to the 34, where Martion threw another interception. Princeton managed to put together even less offense as the game proceeded, testimony to the effectiveness of the Harvard defense.

Gimme Shelter

Marion moved the ball up and down the field several times, but never could come up with the big play. In every state but the score, Harvard won big: first downs (21-11), rushing yardage (278-95) and total yards (331-187). As Restic said, "We just didn't capitalize when we had to." Coach Frank Navarro's Tigers, did not, however, concede a single turnover, a considerable accomplishment in this rain drenched contest.

Harvard's defense shut down the Tigers almost entirely in the second half. The front four of Dave Otto, Chuck Durst, Justin Whittington and Tim Palmer (who has come on very strong of late) limited the Tigers to just four first downs and 54 total yards, and forced them to give Harvard the ball in consistently good field position.

So, for Harvard's final offensive possession of the day, Restic called on sophomore Don Allard, whose only varsity, experience had come last spring for Harvard's Eastern League championship baseball team. Allard lit a fire for the final three minutes. Taking over at his own 38 with 3:12 remaining, Allard hit Marshall for 21 yds. over the middle and ran for 23 more, but the drive stalled at the Princeton 23 and Harvard gave up the ball on downs with 54 seconds to go.

THE NOTEBOOK: The Ivy League situation shapes up this way: Yale. With two losses, Harvard has lost virtually all chance of an undisputed Ivy title, but still holds a slight chance of gaining a part of it. The Elis now are the only undefeated team, after Dartmouth was upset this weekend at Cornell (7-3). If the Elis defeat the Big Green next week, then they are golden. If Dartmouth wins, then Harvard will have to win its next two Ivy games, defeat Yale in The Game and hope Dartmouth loses to either Columbia, Brown or Princeton... Crimson defensive back Rocky Degadillo came up with another excellent performance, holding the top receiver in the NCAA, Cris Crissy, to only one reception.