Hall of Fame Ready to Induct Medalists Albright and Cleary

By Daniel S. Benjamin

The Harvard Varsity Club Hall of Fame will induct Olympic gold medalists Tenley Albright '53-55 and Billy Cleary '56--current coach of the Harvard men's hockey team--into its ranks tomorrow night along with 13 other outstanding Harvard athletes.

Albright, who captured the women's figure skating gold medal at the 1956 winter games in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, will become the first woman inducted into the Hall of Fame in its 128-year history. Her other skating achievements include five consecutive national championships and two world championships.

A graduate of Harvard Medical School and now a practicing surgeon in Boston. Albright said last night. "I was completely dumbfounded. I was just completely taken by surpise.

Cleary won his gold medal as a member of the 1960 U.S. hockey team which upsets a heavily-favored Russian squad at the Olympics held this year in Squaw Valley, Calif. In that game Cleary scored the go-ahead goal for the American team. He also won a silver medal on the 1956 Olympic team.

Good

"I'm very pleased to be included in such an august group," Cleary said yesterday. Already a member of the American Hockey Hall of Fame, he added that he was delighted to enter the Harvard Hall of Fame.

While an undergraduate. Cleary distinguished himself as an outstanding offensive player. He led the nation in points scored in the 1955 season, helping Harvard into the NCAA tournament that year. His total of 89 points still stands as Harvard's single season scoring record.

Cleary, however, considers "the people I played with and the relationships I made" the most memorable facet of his college career. He added that the coaches he had while on the Crimson hockey and basketball teams--he captained both at one time or another--helped enrich his athletic experience.