Ailing Aquamen Splashed, Look to Future and Easterns

Listening to members of Harvard's water polo team talk last night, you wouldn't guess that they had just been splashed by nationally ranked Fordham 15-5. The only things on their lips seemed to be the up-coming Easterns, a tournament they have never entered. But if all goes well, this year the squad will.

Bcause several key starters were sick, last night's loss was not "too disappointing," Assistant Coach Peter Lansbury said. Part of the reason for this lingering optimism is goalie Richard Reid, affectionately nicknamed "The Wall" by his teammates. Reid successfully defended his title last night when he blocked a tough penalty short in the third period. Captain John Hansen called Reid's performance "the best game of his life" and one that "oughtta go in his resume."

Reid himself preferred to talk about Eric Weber, who scored six goals for Fordham. He said that the combination of Weber and teammate Dan Ianuzzi scored; this time the situation was reversed.

The aquamen, however, have their eyes on bigger things. For one, to tomorrow's match against Hamilton, which should provided ample practice time for November's all-important New England tournament, from which two teams (probably Brown and either Harvard or MIT) will advance to the Easterns.