Amherst Suffers Water Shortage

Campus News

By Compiled FROM College newspapers

AMHERST--Nearly one month after a water shortage closed the University of Massachusetts, students still are allowed to flush toilets only once every other use and are asked not to run the water when shaving.

"The outcry has been voluminous," one university official, who asked not to be identified, said of the school closure and conservation measures. "Someone's going to have to explain what went wrong and fix it," she added.

Early Vacation

The university closed for three days beginning September 4, one day after classes began, because of a sudden loss of pressure in the town's water system.

UMass/Amherst reimbursed the students a total of $200,000--an average of $25 per student--for unused room and board costs, but the student senate may sue to recover additional travel costs incurred, Robert Campbell, director of housing administration, said yesterday.

John Doherty, Amherst Fire Chief, was dismissed by the town manager after he said publicly that the school closure was unnecessary, Campbell said.

The town manager has prepared a report explaining his reasons for firing Doherty, but the report will not be released until Monday.

To keep the water flowing, Amherst has drawn on supplies from adjoining towns and has drilled a new well. Conservation measures and students' "heightened awareness" have also reduced demand, Campbell said.