Presidential Campaign Groups Begin Canvassing This Week

Undergraduate organizations supporting the three major presidential candidates plan to kick off their campus campaigns this week with fundraising events, leafletting, speeches, debates and door-to-door canvassing.

Until this week, the campaign committees put most of their energies into marshalling volunteers and establishing contacts with state committees. Now, Harvard organizers say, they are ready to begin scrambling for the loyalties of their fellow students.

About 250 student volunteers for Rep. John B. Anderson (R-Ill.), working in teams by Houses and sections of the Yard, will begin a three-week drive today to contact every Harvard undergraduate, Jerome S. Fortinsky '83, Anderson's Harvard coordinator, said this week.

The Anderson canvassers will remind students to file for absentee ballots, and will enlist support for the "Run for Anderson," a fundraising "jogathon" this Sunday, Fortinsky added.

Participants in the "Run for Anderson" will gather at 2 p.m. by Weld Boathouse for a jog along the Charles River. As in the March of Dimes Walkathon and similar events, each runner will have asked sponsors to contribute some amount of money to the Anderson campaign for each mile jogged, John J. Lie '82, organizer of the run, said this week.

The Harvard Republican Club and Harvard-Radcliffe Republicans for Reagan will set up campaign tables in all the undergraduate dining halls and operate a telephone bank in Boston this week, Michael T. Kerr '81, president of the Republican Club, said yesterday.

The Reagan supporters will also sponsor a debate between State Rep. Andrew Natsios, a Reagan supporter, and Cy Spalding, an Anderson supporter, Friday at 3:30 p.m. in Science Center B.

President Carter's student campaigners, led by the Democratic Club and Harvard-Radcliffe Students for Carter, will also have tables in the dining halls this week, and will distribute campaign literature at the Harvard-Cornell football game Saturday, Donald E. Tarver '82, chairman of H-R Students for Carter, said.

The Carter forces will sponsor a speech by Sam Brown, director of the federal agency ACTION, tomorrow at 9 p.m. in the Science Center and will host Ambassador Andrew Young October 15 at 2 p.m. in Sanders Theater