Booters Miss Scoring Touch, Amherst Makes Noise, 3-0

"We had the same problem today that we did against UMass, an inability to score," said coach Doug Tashjian of the men's junior varsity soccer team, after his squad lost at Amherst yesterday, 3-0.

The Crimson has scored only once in its last two outings, and that fact alone explains nearly all of the squad's problems.

"We were playing well against Amherst, but they had much more desire and tenacity in goal scoring," Tashjian said.

Amherst scored first midway through the opening half. With the Crimson defense unable to clear the ball, an Amherst striker capitalized on the pressure and put the ball in a virtually open net.

The Lord Jeffs converted another Harvard mix-up into their second score 15 minutes into the second half. Crimson goalie Phil Coogan misread a defender's signal and came out of the net to stop the play, but ended up just missing the ball.

The Harvard offense responded to the two-goal deficit by shifting to a four-forward attack which produced ample scoring opportunities--all unsuccessful.

"It was like a shooting gallery, but we just weren't able to finish off, because of a lack of confidence," Tashjian said. "No one wants to carry the ball, to be the goal scorer."

Before the Crimson could break through, Amherst caught Harvard pressing and found its own chance for a 3-0 lead.

There were still 20 minutes left, but the Crimson came up empty on the scoreboard for the day.

Tashjian said Harvard controlled midfield play, thanks to Rocky Carbia and Ted Bayliss, and the defense was solid, except for the two mistakes.

With four games left and a 1-3 record, Tashjian said his team is still very optimistic, promising "There'll be some changes made,"--changes the Crimson hopes will end its scoring drought.

Harvard plays next Wednesday at Babson