Bok Appoints Six to Serve on ACSR

List Includes Heimert, Valadian

By Michael W. Miller

President Bok appointed six new members to the Advisory Committee on Shareholder Responsibility (ACSR) yesterday.

Named to serve two-year terms on the 12-member committee were: Milton Katz '27, Stimson Professor of Law Emeritus, who will serve as chairman; Alan E. Heimert '49, Cabot Professor of American Literature and master of Eliot House; Isabelle Valadian, professor of Maternal and Child Health in the School of Public Health; Brent Heeb, a first-year student at the Graduate School of Design; and David B. Arnold '44 and Richard Rosen '60, who were nominated by the Associated Harvard Alumni.

A student from the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences will be appointed shortly.

Ha Ha

"It's funny for me to be elected," Valadian said yesterday, adding "I don't know that much about investments."

Katz, a specialist on international and environmental law, said yesterday that he had no specific plans for his term on the ACSR. "I'm going to wait for the first organizational meeting to meet with my brethren and find out what's on their minds," he said.

The committee will have its first meeting of the year November 25. "Typically, at the first meeting, the new members say 'What is it I've just signed up for' and the old members tell them," Lawrence F. Stevens '65, secretary of the Committee, said yesterday.

Stevens said likely topics for committee consideration this year include the question of operations of United States corporations in South Africa and in Latin America, which he said were key concerns of the committee last year.

Katz said he has asked that individuals wishing to address the committee contact Stevens. Stevens said that in past years the opportunity to bring issues before the committee was used only "on very, very rare occasions."