Livingston Taylor

By Marco L. Quazzo

"To maintain my sanity I must make music," singer and songwriter Livingston Taylor told an audience of nearly 100 last night in Quincy House's Junior Common Room.

Taylor spoke of his career and his experiences in the music industry. He treated the enthusiastic crowd to a few selections on the guitar and fingered the keyboard of a nearby piano several times during his talk.

"Writing music and lyrics isn't easy for anyone, and for me it's just a matter of waiting for beautiful music to keep my demons at bay," the younger brother of James Taylor said.

Side by Side, Council for the Performing Arts, organized the evening with Taylor, which included dinner in the Quincy House dining room followed by a performance workshop.

"The purpose of Side by Side is to bring celebrities to Harvard so that students can learn of their industry in an intimate setting," Carla Rosen '82, executive board member of Side by Side, said last night. The organization will host appearances by actor Richard Jordan '59 and actress Lauren Bacall later this semester.