Law School Competition Attracts 500 Spectators

By Susan L. Donner

A crowd of more than 500 gathered last night at the Law School to witness the final rounds of the Ames Court Competition, an annual mock trial for third-year law students.

Hundreds of additional spectators filled the Science Center to watch the live closed-circuit broadcasts of the proceedings, a Law School tradition in which students presenting opposing sides of a fictitious case compete for a $1000 prize.

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Harry A. Blackmun '29 presided over the competition, sponsored by the Board of Student Advisors at the Law School.

Judge Robert E. Keeton of the U.S. District Court of Massachusetts and former Torah Professor of Law, and Judge Amalya Kearse of the Second Circuit Court of Appeals, joined Blackmun in hearing the case.

Two speakers from each of two teams argued a case questioning the right of an attorney to withhold evidence concerning a client from an investigating agency.

The judges ruled in favor of the team calling itself "J. Minor Wisdom," defendants of the attorney.

The judges awarded the title of best speaker to Kathleen Sullivan, the only woman speaker. Sullivan said last night she is happy about the award, adding that "It is pretty uncommon for a woman to win the honor."