Women Pucksters Face B.U. Tonight

Confident Squad Should Prove Aggressive

By Nancy F. Bauer

When the Harvard women's ice hockey team skated off the ice at the end of period three last March 1, it had closed out the 1979-80 season with its third loss to Yale and its 13th defeat overall.

But a week earlier, the Crimson had upset a surprised Boston University squad, deftly battling its way to a 5-3 win and the second spot in the annual women's Beanpot tournament. While the Yale game typified the frustration the icewomen experienced all season--an unsynchronized offense, timid backchecking, and hesitation in front of the net--the B.U. game showed that individual talent could coalesce to overwhelm Harvard's opponents when the squad mustered up a bit of confidence.

And this year the team may just psych itself up enough to overcome the rebuilding-year obstacles that prevented it from winning more than four games last year.

"If people will just get a strong attitude that'll help us a lot," veteran co-captain Lauren Norton said yesterday. "That'll be night and day."

The first player to be named to an All-Ivy first team and last year's highest-scoring defenseman, Norton--who will switch to the centerposition this year--will probably prove key in tonight's season opener against B.U. at the Terrier's Walter Brown Arena.

Ten other returning players will join her in what should prove the most team-oriented Crimson squad since the club achieved varsity status when this year's seniors were sophmores.

Most of the ten new faces belong to freshmen, almost all of whom gained experience on skates in high school. Although Susan Newell--a hot defensive prospect--will be sidelined tonight with muscle injuries, she and fellow freshmen Leonie Glen, Deb Taft and Megan Berthold should beef up the Crimson defense.

And while last year's offense suffered from an inability to get off effective shots and passes in front of the opposing net, this year's returning forwards--notably last-year's high scorer, Alex Lightfoot, co-captain Firkins Reed, and senior Sara Fischer--know each other's styles well enough to mount a cogent team attack.

For the second time in as many years, the Harvard net will be tended by a player who has never played ice hockey before. "I'm not nervous--just really psyched, really excited," fledgling goaltender Cheryl Tate said yesterday. "I really love the sport."

With an extra line, an extra goalie and a new assistant coach, second-year Coach Rita Harvard should have few problems backing up a nucleus of experienced players.

And Norton is confident that the team will get it together this year, beginning with another victory over the Terriers: "I think we're gonna get 'em,' she said--without hesitation