Quincy in Straus Cup Lead; Winthrop, Kirkland Stay Close

By Howard N. Mead

With the fall season of Straus Cup competition now completed, Quincy House holds a slim lead over Winthrop and defending champion Kirkland. Quincy has amassed 451 points, with three of the seven fall championships to its credit. Winthrop, also with three team titles, follows with 434, and Kirkland rounds out the top three at 422.

Quincy picked up its three championships in tackle football, field hockey, and women's soccer. The Q-men copped the football crown by defeating the SoHo Rebels in a rematch of last year's House Super Bowl. Not content with just the Harvard crown, the Quincy team went on to whip the Yale champions, Calhoun-Berkley, for the Ivy laurels.

South House football was not the only team to be pushed from its throne. Not one of last fall's champions managed to successfully defend its title.

In women's soccer the defending champions from Winthrop fell to Kirkland in the semi-finals of the playoffs. The Q-women then came away with the garland by taking a 4-1 quadruple-overtime victory from Kirkland in the finals. Quincy took the field hockey title on the basis of an undefeated record in the regular season when the playoffs were cancelled due to scheduling conflicts and snow.

Unable to retain its hold on the trophies in women's soccer and touch football, Winthrop picked up the slack in other areas by winning cross country, men's soccer and co-ed touch football.

The men's and women's cross country titles were combined this year for the first time, and Rodney Pearson and Bob Bolen ran away from the pack to lead the Thropsters to victory. The Lowell and Kirkland harriers finished second and third, respectively.

The 'Throp edged out North and Quincy to take the co-ed touch crown, and Ron Ost led the Winthrop soccer squad to an undefeated season and the intramued title.

In the only other fall competition, North House tied with Eliot for first place in touch football.

If Quincy should retain its lead at the end of the year, it would mark Q-World's first Straus Cup ever. Kirkland is looking to take home the cup for a record 18th time. Eliot and Winthrop are tied for second in overall Straus championships, having each carried off seven intramural trophies since the competition began in 1935. When Kirkland topped Winthrop in the final standings last year, it broke a four-year winning streak for the Thropsters.

Switch

In last year's race for the Straus Cup, Kirkland mounted a big lead during the fall season with 472 points to Winthrop's 422 and Quincy's 376. Winthrop chipped away at the lead throughout the year, but K-House was able to hang on for the crown.

In the winter season there will be House leagues in men's and women's basketball and squash as well as ice hockey. There will also be special intramural meets in swimming, indoor track and field, fencing, and wrestling.