Pennsylvania

By Siddharta Mazumdar

With its current string of Super Bowl and World Series victories, Pennsylvania has been dubbed the state of champions. But this fall's senatorial contest could easily damage its reputation.

As in most Pennsylvania elections, the battle for the seat vacated by Sen. Richard Schweiker (R.-Pa.) will become an East/West conflict. Democratic candidate Peter Flaherty, Pittsburgh's whiz-kid mayor during the early '70s counts on strong support from his hometown and the surrounding industrial valleys, while the Republican contender, former Philadelphia District Attorney Arlen Spector seems to maintain the allegiance of the densely-populated southeast.

But a Phillies-Pirates doubleheader could have stirred up a lot more interest: the candidates present no jarring political differences. Both struggle to reign supreme at the middle-of-the-road. Just like everybody nowadays, they favor increased military expenditures and reduced federal taxation. They differ, in a significant way, only over abortion. In a curious twist, Spector, the Republican, opposes a constitutional amendment to ban abortion, while-Flaherty, an Irish-Catholic, sympathizes with the pro-life position.

Flaherty, riding the crest of his immense Pittsburgh popularity, challenged incumbent Schweiker in 1974. Although Western Pennsylvania's masses adored Flaherty for his staunch resistance to a host of special-interest groups, liberal Republican senators from Philadelphia don't fall easily in Pennsylvania. After Schweiker won handily, Flaherty became mayor for a while before going to Washington to work in President Carter's Justice Dept.

For Philadelphian conservatives, Spector once seemed the great Republican hope in a city where Democratic politicians predominate. But after losing out to H. John Heinz's ketchup-funded effort in the 1976 state primary, the Republican machine put its strength behind another Pittsburgher, Richard Thornburgh, for the 1978 gubernatorial campaign. Thornburgh subsequently defeated Flaherty in the final contest.

Most analysts blame Flaherty's loss on his inability to court any large voting groups. By going out of his way to "portray himself as 'nobody's boy'" he alienated much of the Black and working class vote Pennsylvania Democrats must count on.

The nation's attention will focus on Pennsylvania's strategic importance in the presidential battle. But for the state's voters, not much rides on the race at home. Most will patiently wait until next year when the real champions return to the ballpark.