Coalition for Peace

News Shorts

Twenty people attended a press conference sponsored by the National Coalition for Peace and Freedom yesterday at Boston University, Organizers of the coalition said that they had expected at least 150 people and representatives of the "legitimate Boston press" to attend.

Mark G. Levey, founder of the coalition, which is planning a march on Washington, D.C. on Inaugural Day--Jan. 20, 1981, said that the coalition called the meeting to seek the support of groups who have had experience in organizing on a national scale.

Representatives from several politically active groups, including the National Organization of Women (NOW) and the Harvard-Radcliffe Gay Students Association, attended the meeting, but none could give the coalition his group's endorsement. Levey said he was surprised that that more groups did not attend the meeting.

Levey said he talked to representatives from the Harvard Peace Alliance, the Harvard Democratic, Republican, and Conservative clubs, and the Harvard Black Students Association about sending people to yesterday's meeting, but no one from those groups attended.