Professor to Investigate Alleged Copying of Work

By David M. Morris

The professor of the University's second-largest course will compare his students' midterm grades with their homework averages, following allegations that students had cheated on weekly homework assignments.

William H. Bossert '59, McKay Professor of Applied Mathematics, said yesterday he has reported the names of "a few" students enrolled in Natural Sciences 110, "Automatic Computing," to their senior tutors or advisers.

H's Basic

John R. Marquand, assistant dean and secretary to the Administrative Board, which decides upon disciplinary actions, said yesterday the Ad Board has not considered the students' cases. He added the cases of which he was unaware could be brought up before the body as early as today.

Bossert said his review of grades is "not necessarily" related to the cheating.

One Nat Sci 110 section leader, who asked not to be identified, explained yesterday, "We have more concern for a student's learning than for whether he receives a slightly higher grade because he copied someone's homework."

The alleged cheating was discovered, Bossert said, because students had submitted homework with "identical and unusual" variable names. The students in question know their advisors are aware of their alleged cheating, he added.

Although Bossert referred only several students to their senior tutors, he said there may be "many people who don't get caught" sharing too much information because he encourages students to discuss "general strategy" with one another.

Several section leaders, who asked not to be identified, said yesterday they have individually dealt with several cases of cheating this year.

Bossert said it is "unfortunate" that students copied one another's work especially since the seven homework assignments count for only one-fourth of the final grade.

Students found guilty of plagiarism, which Bossert said is a more accurate description of the students' actions than cheating," would "ordinarily be required to withdraw from the college," according to the Handbook for Students.CrimsonElizabeth HarpelProfessor WILLIAM H. BOSSERT