Students Charge Sex Discrimination

By Compiled FROM College newspapers

DURHAM, N.C.--Two Duke University seniors last week filed complaints with the U.S. Department of Education charging that Duke discriminates against women in housing, athletics and recruitment of faculty.

The students, Mary Brew and Christy Kooyman, said Duke violated Title IX, a 1972 act forbidding discrimination on the basis of sex in any educational program receiving federal funds.

Duke's equal opportunity office immediately announced it would investigate the charges. "I want to make it clear that we are taking this very seriously," Dolores L. Burke. director of the office, said, adding that she hoped to report to the administration before Christmas.

Sanford Charges Discourtesy

Duke University President Terry Sanford criticized the students for not first raising the matter with him or his staff. "I am appalled at the basic discourtesy and the totally inappropriate procedures followed by the two students," he said. "At no time did they see fit to bring the matters of which they complain to my attention or to the attention of the chancellor."

Brew and Kooyman said they went directly to the Department of Education because they wanted a quick response.