Institutions Join To Educate Blacks From South Africa

By Nancy J. Vetstein

Representatives of universities, multinationals, foundations, and others interested in the education of Black South Africans met two weeks ago to discuss the progress of a coordinated intercollegiate Black South African scholarship program.

President Bok formed the national council to set policy for the expanded International Institute of Education (IIE) scholarship program. IIE followed suggestions Bok gave it last fall to increase the number of universities, multinationals and foundations contributing money to its program.

Bok could not be reached for comment yesterday.

David R. Smock, director of the South African Education Program at IIE, said yesterday that so far 22 universities, including Harvard, Princeton, Brown and Cornell, have committed themselves to giving full scholarships for next year.

Smock said the council hopes to obtain undergraduate and graduate scholarships for 30 Black South Africans. IIE sponsors 16.

Conrad D. Snowden, associate provost at Princeton University, said yesterday Princeton plans to support the scholarship program. "Princeton is concerned for the status of South African students in general, in particular Black South African students," he said, adding, "It's a matter of conscience to respond to a situation [apartheid] that the university finds abhorrent."

William D. Carmichael, a council member and head of the office for Middle East and Africa in the Ford Foundation, said yesterday, "No matter what future one foresees in South Africa, there is a very pressing need for more Blacks with high level training in order for them to assume leadership roles in their society."

He added that the program offers students a chance to "view their own society and options from a fresh perspective."