Zimic, McCloskey Pace Crimson In Drowning of B.C. Eagles, 84-56

By Caroline R. Adams

Depth, speed and stellar freshmen performances all combined last night to lead the Harvard aquawomen to their first victory of the season as they drowned an outclassed Boston College contingent, 84-56.

Yardling Debbie Zimic proved to be the highpoint of the Crimson evening with her three first place finishes in the 50, 100 and 200 yard freestyles--her time of 55.08 seconds in the 100 free doubling as a personal lifetime best. Exhibiting Harvard's newly-acquired freestyle depth, fellow freshman Jeanne Floyd nabbed two second places behind Zimic in the 50 and the 100, while sophomore Kathy Davis took a third in the 200.

The meet also saw the season debut of sophomore Maureen Gildea, who holds the University record in the 1650 freestyle, and who has been sidelined so far with knee surgeries. Although Gildea swam carefully, doing flipturns with mostly one leg, she held on to finish a close third behind B.C. winner Simone Carson and sophomore Terri Frick (5:18.90, 5:21.50, and 5:22.07).

The butterfly events were dominated by sophomore Kathleen McCloskey who copped first in both the 50 and 100 yard events in times of 27.30 seconds and 59.48 seconds respectively. McCloskey also managed a second place finish in the 200 yard Individual Medley with a time of 2:18.16.

Other freshmen who swam well last night included Kathy Fallon and Susan Kim. Fallon, who sat out the meet against B.U. last week with bronchitis, won the 100 yard I.M. in 1:05.64, and took two thirds in the 200 I.M. and the 50 butterfly. Kim, who won the 100 yard breast-stroke but was disqualified on a technicality, won the 50 breast in 33.29 and took second in the 100 I.M. with 1:06.11.

Although they call themselves hapless--a label from last season's dismal performances--the breaststroke squad looked anything but as sophomore Gwen Knapp and freshman Geralyn White went 1-2 in the 100 breast with times of 1:15.36 and 1:16.85. Knapp also finished second behind Kim in the 50 with a time of 34.79.

The Crimson's big hole is still in the backstroke events with the best Harvard finishes being mustered I.M. specialist Kathy Davis, who took third place in both the 50 and 100 yard events in 31.91 and 1:06.88.

In the 1 meter and 3 meter diving events. Harvard swamped B.C. with 1-2-3 finishes by junior Pam Stone, sophomore Adriana Holy and freshman Cathy Josman. Although diving coach John Walker termed the performances "mediocre," he said that all three divers had "shown improvement in spots" in both events.

In J.V. action earlier in the afternoon, the Crimson also emerged victorious with freshman Jessica Rice, sophomore Cindy Phillips, and junior Alberta Young leading the way with three individual wins each.

THE NOTEBOOK: In addition to several members of the men's swim team who appeared to cheer the aquawomen on to victory, three members of Harvard's Development Office filmed the meet as part of a promotional effort in the University's five-year fund-raising campaign.