Hoopsters Outlasted By B.C.

Eagles Slip Past Crimson For 47-43 Win

By Sara J. Nicholas

The only thing exciting about the women hoopster's loss to B.C. last night was the score. Harvard didn't give up the ghost until the final 18 seconds, when the Eagles sunk two final buckets to edge out the Crimson, 47-43.

The hoopsters were playingfrom behind from the very beginning. Ten minutes into the first half the squad found itself trailing by an 11-point margin. Playing a 1-3-1 zone, the hoopsters couldn't set up fast enough to rebuff an agressive B.C. offense, sparked by Marykatie Kelley, who popped in a quick three buckets and cornered the market on rebounds.

Then it was B.C.'s turn to get sloppy. The Eagles wracked up a flurry of personal fouls, mostly on Harvard center Elaine Holpuch, who converted on enough to bring the hoopsters to within five points by the half, 26-21.

Following a by now familiar pattern, the hoopsters came on strong the moment the second half whistle blew, dunking in three quick connectors to tie up the score at 26-all. Whatever it is coach Carole Kleinfelder says to her team during half-time, it invariably works magic for the first several minutes.

Point guards Ann Scannel and Pat Horne played their usual excellent defensive games, and began picking off passes with ease.

Unfortunately, the hoopsters have a short collective memory, and Kleinfelder had to sit and watch as her squad began to fall apart. The Eagles switched to a full-court press, and scared Harvard sufficiently to bully their way to a quick ten point lead.

With ten minutes to go in the game, B.C. led, 39-29, and while the Crimson hoopsters soon recovered their poise and began inching up to a tie, they never left themselves enough recovery time and were still two buckets back when the final buzzer sounded.

There's not much you can say about a team with loads of talent and a large empty space in the win column. The hoopsters walked into the I.A.B. with an 0-3 record last night, badly needing a win to restore their confidence. Now 0-4, the Crimson hoop crew is still looking for that win.

"The game was ours," lamented Horne. "But we just didn't take it. We are definitely beginning to come together though," added the optimistic sophomore.

Horne had much to be pleased about, as the spunky point guard continually brought Harvard up from behind with a series of clutch free throws, heads-up defense, and fearless penetration through the lane.

Center Holpuch had more trouble with the referee than with the opponents, getting called for four personal fouls within a matter of ten minutes. Holpuch continues to be very effective in drawing fouls herself, but her height has been no help to Harvard under the boards.

If any one was to be singled out during the two halves of uninspired play it was Marget Long.

With shooting, field goal, turnover and rebound statistics virtually identical, the Eagle's victory was nothing more than sheer endurance. The hoopsters face Holy Cross at home this Thursday, and this time they can't afford to lose.