Tigers Defeat Racquetwomen

Harvard Second in Howe Cup

The Harvard women's squash team demonstrated this weekend what a difference a year--and a legendary coach--make, finishing a strong second in the Howe Cup in New Heaven, Conn.

Probable national champion Princeton repeated as the winner, but Jack Barnaby's squad produced an impressive 6-1 finish, and trounced Yale, 5-2, along the way.

Princeton won all of its seven matches, including a 6-1 victory over Harvard, to take the cup.

Crimson captain Jenny Stone, playing in the sixth position, broke the Tiger shutout bid, Stone, as usual, rose to the occasion throughout the three-day tournament, winning all of her matches for the second consecutive year in Howe Cup play.

"Princeton has a dynasty which, we hope, will eventually graduate," Ellie Cunningham, who was 5-2 in the seventh slot, said afterwards. The Tigers trounced the Crimson for the second time in two weeks, leaving no doubt about who is number one.

But the big news of the tournament was Harvard's upset of host Yale Saturday. The overconfident Elis, long one of the nation;s top teams, had expected trouble only from Princeton.

Nightmare

However, Becky Tung, Sarah Mleczko, Lisa Harrision, Jackie Corrigan and Stone won at numbers one, two, three, five and six, respectively, to shatter the Elis dreams of a title.

As further evidence of Harvard's improvement, the only Crimson players to lose, Courtesy Stimpson and Cunningham, took their opponents to five games. In fact, Stimpson, playing in the fourth slot, survived three tiebreakers before succumbing.

The Crimson got off to a strong start Friday with 7-o sweeps of Franklin- Marshall, Wesleyan and Brown.

After downing Yale Saturday morning, the racquetwomen crushed Williams. 6-1.

Ephwoman Becky Chase, one of America's top players, beat Tung to spoil a shutout. But the racquetwomen had propelled themselves into the final round, along with Dartmouth and Princeton.

Sunday morning, the Crimson had to face the inevitable. The Tigers, led by nationally ranked Joan Maguire, Nancy Gengler and Kris Kinney, proved too much for Harvard.

Discoloration

The racquetwomen went on to trounce the Big Green, 6-1, to clinch second place.

Freshman Harrison, the only Crimson loser, felt till before the Dartmouth match. Harrison took the court against the Big Green, but could not play a full capacity.

"It was wonderful to neat Yale," Cunningham said, "but it's no indication of what will happen next week," when the Crimson faces the Elis again, this time head-to-head, at Yale.

Still Harvard proved this weekend that it can play with anyone--except may be Princeton.