B.C. Outscores Crimson; Ice women Drop Ninth

By Nancy F. Bauer

The saga continues.

Suffering once again from a chronic, season-long inability to put the puck in the net and to stickcheck in the defensive zone, the icewomen outplayed and outshot Boston College last night at Bright; but the Eagles outscored the Crimson, 4-2.

B.C. forward Donna Fichera led the Eagle onslaught with a hat trick--one goal per period--and an assist, while treammate Eaglet Connie Wilson fed the puck to Fichera on each tally and sparked the B.C. offense throughout the game.

Opposing teams had outscored Harvard 11-3 in first-period play, and B.C. widened the season gap by notching two goals during the first 20 minutes of last night's match. Sloppy backchecking and an off night for first year goalie Katie Williams allowed B.C. to register the first score of the evening on a whizzing wristshot from the slot.

Midway into the first third, Harvard blew a good chance to knot the score as two B.C. skaters sat in the penalty box, but the Crimson couldn't get past tough Eagle goalie Stephanie Cameron.

After B.C. beat net minder Williams for the second time on a Fichera slapshot from 40 feet out, freshman forward Rosemary Mahoney--a likely candidate for Most Improved Player--gathered up the puck, skated the length of the ice, and found winger Sara Fischer, who befuddled Cameron for her third goal of the season.

As usual, the Crimson came out tougher for period two. B.C. got off only three shots during the stanza, but none of Harvard's 11 attempts found its way into the Eagle net. A single Crimson defensive lapse allowed Fichera to notch number two at 10:58, while B.C. won numerous battles in front of its own goal. Lone season trend last night's game did not reflect was a strong Crimson third period. Fichera ended her scoring spree on a soft wristshot that deflected off a group of Crimson defensemen and Williams' skates and slowly dribbled over the Harvard goal line.

Norton made the score respectable with a beautiful breakaway and a buzzing shot from the slot, catching Cameron out of the net. Down by two goals with a little more than a minute to go, coach Rita Harder pulled Williams--but the beefed up of-fense could not hit the mark.

Harvard may meet B.C. again on February 24th during the second round of the Women's Beanpot at Bright (The Crimson meet B.U. in round one on the 23rd). With any luck, the second annual tournament will allow Harvard to prove that last night marked the final segment of this season's frustrating drama.