Administrators Begin to Look For New Mather Senior Tutor

By Burton F. Jablin

Administrators have begun hunting for a new senior tutor in Mather House to replace Harry W. Orf, who is leaving that position in July to become full-time director of the new biochemistry laboratory.

John R. Marquand, assistant dean of the College and senior tutor in Dudley House, said Thursday the dean's office placed an advertisement in the Harvard Gazette last week and sent letters last November to every assistant and associate professor, department chairman and senior tutor to announce that a position was available.

Flood

"A number of qualified people" have already applied for the position, Orf said Thursday.

A committee of the Mather House masters, resident tutors and students will screen applicants, but has not yet begun the interviews. Dean Fox will make the final decision.

Since the start of this school year, Orf has divided his time between his duties as senior tutor and as director of the new $12 million laboratory, which will open in September.

As director of the laboratory, Orf said he will coordinate the department's move into the new building and handle day-to-day administrative duties.

After receiving a doctor in chemistry from Harvard. Orf became a research fellow in chemistry. The following year he became the Mather House senior tutor.

The Biochemistry Department named him director of the new laboratory in 1978, but the job was part-time because the building was only partially completed.

Orf said his research suffered while he held the three positions--senior tutor, director of the laboratory, and research fellow. He resigned as a research fellow last year to become half senior tutor and half laboratory director.

Patricia A. Herlihy, co-master of Mather House, said Thursday Orf "was always on the job, however he had to juggle his responsibilities." She added, "My own wish is to clone him."