Dartmouth Rallies To Top Icewomen

By Nancy F. Bauer

A mistakenly-called penalty and sloppy Crimson defensive play prevented the icewomen from notching their fourth win last night in Hanover, N.H., as the Dartmouth squad they crushed just two weeks ago eked out a 5-4 revenge.

With the score knotted at 4-4 and only three minutes left in the last stanza, one of the refs called an undeserved tripping penalty on defenseman Anna Jones, allowing the Big Green to score the gamewinning goal on the power play.

So Sorry

After the game, the Dartmouth coach apologized for the poor call, assistant coach Jay Duker said last night. "It was probably our best game of the season offensively," he added.

Harvard controlled play for most of the first period--atypical of their usual slow starts. Freshman Vicki Palmer tallied the Crimson's first goal just four minutes into the game.

After Dartmouth beat goalie Katie Williams to tie it up, Palmer took the puck into the corner in a three-against-two situation and floated a beautiful pass to co-captain Firkins Reed who made it 2-1.

The Crimson--now 3-10 on the season--lagged a bit during period two, trading goals with Dartmouth in the second stanza. The country-dwellers scored a tying goal and then soon after went ahead on a shot that caromed off a Dartmouth forward and slipped past Williams.

Junior winger Sara Fischer knotted the score at 3-3 on another pass from the corner. But the Green Machine had the advantage by the end of the period after Williams dropped a save and Dartmouth pushed the rebound into the net.

Soaring

As usual, Harvard put in a strong third period, pulling off controlled, nicely set-up plays. The Crimson scored its final goal on a three-player maneuver: defenseman Julie Starr to Jones to freshman Alex Lightfoot, who added one more tally to her teamleading record on a 45-ft. slapshot.

The icewomen finally got it together and succeeded in pushing the puck past the goalline, but a paucity of Crimson forechecking hurt Harvard's cause.

"We put the puck in the net enough, but we were blatantly leaving people in front," Duker said. "We really wanted to win this one."