Racquetwomen Top Middlebury In Season's Last Home Match

By Steven Wolfe

Although a weak opponent often elicits a weak response, the women's varsity squash team got psyched up Saturday and demolished Middlebury, 6-1, at Hemenway Gym.

Despite the absence of two ailing players, third-ranked Lisa Harrison and sixth-ranked captain Jenny Stone, the Crimson had little trouble with the Panthers. In fact, the racquetwomen did not drop a single game in the top five matches.

"Just because our toughest matches are over, we're not letting up," said sophomore Courtney Stimpson, explaining the Crimson's fine performance. Fourth-ranked Stimpson stepped into the third spot Saturday in place of Harrison. She adapted to the new spot well, downing Panther Karen Mayfield, 15-7, 15-4, 15-7.

Single-Figure Slaughter

Of the top five matches, only fifth-spotted Wendy Sonnabend allowed her opponent to reach a double-figure score, as she took the first game 15-11. The next two came more easily, as she won both at 15-8.

The Crimson had its only problems in matches six and seven. Eighth-ranked Ellie Cunningham. playing at number six, allowed her match with Bunny Mauran to go to 2-2, before waking up to take the fifth game, 15-2.

Playing in her third varsity match of the season, Libby Pierpont ran into a powerful Panther opponent at number seven, and dropped three straight games for the team's only loss.

Few Qualms

However, coach Elyse Jacob had few qualms about the loss, saying the court sense which would have helped Pierpont's performance "will come with experience for Libby."

The Crimson has only two more regular season matches remaining this year, which it will play on the road Tuesday against Amherst and Trinity. This weekend, the Crimson's top four players will travel to the National Championships at Princeton.