Bruins Beat Out Women Cagers, 67-61; Poor Foul Shooting Proves the Key

By Sara J. Nicholas

Oh where, oh where can that winning touch be? Luck deserted the hapless women hoopsters again last night in Providence as the Brown Bruins prevailed, 67-61.

The Crimson cagers, a team that has shown consistent improvement since the beginning of the season, was on the verge of turning their record around recently with a four-game winning streak.

Last Saturday's agonizingly close loss to B. C., and yesterday's loss to Brown have all but shattered those hopes, and the cagers can only pick up and go on to improve their 6-10 record.

Foul

Foul shooting proved to be the critical factor of last night's contest. In an aggressive and hard-fought game, both teams succeeded in drawing many fouls, put only the Bruins successfully capitalized on them, hitting 77 per cant of their free throw attempts.

The Harvard offense, showing fine initiative and determined driving towards the basket, drew 16 fouls but only hit 52 per cent of their free throws.

Throughout the evening, Harvard was never far behind, and with the score 39-33 at the half, there was still plenty of opportunity for the hoopsters to clinch the game with a strong effort.

Tardiness

But the effort came too late. Harvard shone in the game's last five minutes, using an effective full-court press and a scoring bonanza to pull within three baskets before the final buzzer interrupted the flow at 67-61, Bruins.

Similar losses to Boston College, Dartmouth, and Penn were also the results of the cagers' poorly-timed last-minute scoring efforts.

Stand-out performances from both squads kept an appreciative crowd engrossed in the action, Six-foot one-inch Crimson center Elaine Holpuch had a good night, picking off rebounds and connecting for 17 points.

The game was an important individual victory for Holpuch, who has been bothered with confidence problems all season and has recently had to contend with bronchitis as well.

Sophomore Karen Smith continues to turn in fine performances, contributing 16 points to the hoopsters' cause last night.

Outside shooting from Crimson guards Ann Scannel, Nancy Boutillier, and Stacie McMahon, which normally compliments the inside boardwork of Smith and Holpuch, was missing throughout the game, another decisive factor in the Bruin victory.

The Bruins, a tough all-around team, displayed fine shooting of their own, Brown forwards Trish Wurtz and Cindy Moorcrosh successfully circumvented the Crimson defense and combined for 36 points.

The cagers face Princeton in the IAB this Friday.