Lowell Residents Vote to Fill Vacant Student Assembly Seats

By Marc J. Jenkins

Lowell House residents voted last night to send representatives to the Student Assembly in a referendum sponsored by the House Committee.

Lowell House delegates to the Student Assembly will probably hold elections for the four currently unoccupied seats next week, Elizabeth W. Harper '81, incoming committee chairman, said last night.

Promises

The committee voted last Tuesday to hold a House-wide referendum because committee members did not believe they represented residents widely enough to decide such an important issue, Harper said.

Joseph F. McDonough '81, chairman of the Student Assembly, said last night he was pleased with the Lowell House decision, adding, "We have every intention to work very hard to be worthy of the support Lowell House has shown us."

McDonougn said Tuesday the outcome of the referendum would be "crucial to the survival of the Assembly."

The vote strengthens the Assembly, McDonough said. Until now the Assembly could only speak of student support, he said, adding, "now we have figures to back it up."

In a written statement distributed during the vote, opponents of the referendum wrote they believe the Student Assembly is an "unrepresentative and ineffective organization."

In a similar statement proponents argued that undergraduates need a body to express student views.