Hoopsters Tame Tigers

By Sara J. Nicholas

Harvard's women cagers cracked the whip last night and caged the Tigers, 73-49.

Cheered on by a spirited home crowd, Harvard played top-notch hoop and recorded its first victory ever over Princeton.

The win, which sets the hoopster's season tallies at 7-10 overall and 2-3 in the Ivies, was a timely psychological boost for the hoopsters, who narrowly lost their last two contests.

The Crimson took command from the start, shooting and rebounding with zest and precision to forge a 20-point lead by halftime. Harvard ace Nancy Boutillier couldn't miss, slamming 16 of her game-high 24 points through the webbing to rocket the Crimson offense to the half-way mark.

Calm Waters

The second half sailed by like the first. The cagers never let up, protecting their 20-point lead like a stalwart governess.

The key factor, however, was an inspired Crimson defense. "We put on a full-court press from the very beginning," explained freshman guard "Magic" Pat Horne. "It got us psyched and gave us plenty of momentum."

The press worked to give the hoopsters 18 steals and forced 36 Princeton tur-novers.

But the Tigers, who trailed during the entire game, refused to just lay down and die. Spunky guard Ellen Tomassiewize streaked down the court for repeated breakaway buckets, terrorized the Crimson offense with a one-man press performance, and was finally ousted from the game with a technical foul for venting her anger on the surly referee.

The Crimson, which faces St. Anselms today, is definitely back on its feet again. Smiling guard Ann Scannel said it all: "It's good to win again."