Dixon's 1000 Paces Crimson at IC4A

Sophomore Heading for Nationals

By Jeffrey R. Toobin

Sophomore Adam Dixon ran to an impressive second-place finish in the 1000 meters in the IC4A championships yesterday at Princeton's Jadwin Gymnasium.

Dixon's time of 2:23.94, more than four seconds ahead of his previous best time at the distance, placed him behind James DeRienzo of Georgetown.

The thinclad was making a characteristically strong move on the final lap when he was jostled at the last turn and couldn't regain the momentum, leaving the race to DeRienzo.

Perennial track powerhouse Villanova easily collected the team title; Harvard's total of eight points did not place among the leaders.

Dixon and Tom Lenz, who throws the 35-lb. weight, will travel to Detroit Thursday for the national championships. Harvard's two-mile relay team might join them, depending on the precarious health of John Murphy, who hasn't run for a month because of an Achilles tendon problem.

Cloudy

Senior Thad McNulty raced under a could of bad luck in the two-day festival. After an impressive showing in the 800-meter trials, McNulty found himself in a blazing semifinal. His time of 1:52.1 was faster than all the times in the second heat, but when compared with the runners in his heat, placed him out of qualifying range for the finals.

Sprinter Joe Salvo distinguished himself in the 55-meter dash, making the semis and, for the second time this season, defeating Princeton's Manny Modu on the Tiger's home ground.

Lenz unleashed a 35-lb. weight toss of more than 60 ft., but his effort was not good enough to qualify him for the finals. Likewise, Gus Udo's efforts in the long and triple jumps, hampered by a hard board and the lingering effects of a broken foot, did not merit him a place in the finals.

Eric Schuler, a freshman laboring under the strain of the track team's frenetic schedule, posted a time in the 3000 meters 12 seconds off his best, and did not qualify.

The mile relay team of Dave Frim, Brian McAndrews, Scott Murrer and Ryan Lamppa did make it to the semis, where the quarter collected a sixth-place finish.