Matignon Grabs Hockey Title

News Briefs

Perennial puck power Matignon High captured the Eastern Massachusetts schoolboy hockey title last night, downing feisty St. John's Prep 5-3 before a roaring Boston Garden crowd.

Matignon, sparked by scrappy sophomore Dave Moran, controlled the entire game, earning a berth in the state finals set for next week.

Fire trucks and police cars escorted the team through the city last night. Matignon is a private school near the Arlington line in Cambridge.

* * *

City councilor Alfred E. Vellucci last night asked the city manager to study limiting the city's rent control program to people who have lived at least ten years in Cambridge.

Vellucci's suggestion, sent to committee by the full council is designed to ensure that only "bona fide Cambridge residents" benefit from the program, which keeps a cap on rents charged by city landlords.

"It becomes increasingly clear with each passing year that this program increasingly is one which helps young professionals, students and transients who come to Cambridge for a few years, take advantage of the rent control program, and then leave the city," Vellucci said.

The program was originally designed "to help the people of Cambridge who cannot afford to pay market rate rents," Vellucci added.

"When apartments become vacant, they are snapped up by the first one to get there, and often that's a student," he added. "Ten or eight or four or three or one years, I don't care--it's just important that we protect the people of Cambridge," he said.