HIID Redux

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

As an out-of-state observer with close connections to Harvard, I have followed with great interest your continuing coverage of the controversy surrounding the appointment of Arnold Harberger as head of the HIID.

I find it appalling that the University could even contemplate the hiring of a man like Harberger whose record of support for an unjust and undemocratic military government needs no further comment, and whose continued connections to that repressive regime only help to maintain it in power.

Harvard, by hiring a man who is responsible for the continuedeconomic repression of the Chilean people (25% unemployment and inflation exceeding 100%), seems to have abandoned any moral committment to the preservation of human and democratic rights, a morality which should be the backbone of any educational system in a free and democratic society.

Perhaps the University is unaware of the one million Chilean citizens forced into exile since the 1973 military coup? Or perhaps it hasn't heard of the more than 2500 "disappeared" persons in Chile, those kidnapped by Chile's secret police and never heard from again? Or the thousands more tortured and murdered following the coup?

If that isn't enough, one only has to remember the assassination of Chilean diplomat Orlando Letelier 3 years ago in our nation's capitol -a murder for which the U.S. Justice Department has indicted members of Chile's secret police. These murders continue to roam freely in Chile, as General Pinochet has refused to extradite them to stand trial in this country.

Harvard's implicit condoning of such illicit and immoral government practice raises serious questions about the role of its Institute of International Development. If Harberger were to succeed as its Director, what future policies and predictions might we expect from a prestigious organization that exerts considerable influence in world economic advising, such as that of Harberger, which only leads to economic chaos and violations of human rights.

While the Chilean government may have prominent friends in key places, the Chilean people can also count on world support in their struggle to resist. I applaud the Harvard community's continued protest of Harberger's appointment and I urge the Crimson to continue its front-page coverage of developments in this story.

The Chilean people will never forget the crimes, nor pardon the sins of their assassins. Harvard too should not reward the deeds of an accomplice. Amy Troubh   University of California, Berkeley, California