You Asked for It

More B.S.

By Bruce Schoenfeld

I don't know why people think I'm a prophet. Maybe those bowl game picks did it, or perhaps it happened when I correctly predicted seven of the nine History 1370 (yeah, that's Boats) exam questions.

Whatever the reason, a day hasn't passed lately when I haven't received ten or 15 phone calls, a dozen letters, and a mailgram or two asking, "Who's going all the way in the NBA?" or "Are the Flyers for real?"

I'm a cordial guy, but my time isn't limitless. I can't afford to spend three hours a day answering letters. History 1370 takes time, you know.

So, hang up the phone and don't send that wire. Here are all the picks you've been wanting plus one or two more to fill up space. Remember, you asked...

NBA: Okay, I'll admit the Celtics are the best team in basketball. But, since when does the best team in basketball win the title? Instead, I'm picking a surprise--Kansas City. The Kings boast the league's best backcourt, Otis Birdsong and Phil Ford. In addition, power forward Bill Robinzine's wife sat next to my father on an airplane the other day. Since we're practically related, I'm picking Robinzine and the Kemper Kids over the Celts in a six-game final.

NHL: As my milkman once told me, the cream comes to the top. Philadelphia has been playing way over its head all season, but now that it's a playoff time the. Flyers will fade away like the end of a Hollywood melodrama. Meanwhile, Montreal will calmly skate into the picture and win the cup. Calm, experienced, and with more two-way players than any other team in hockey, the Habs will ride a hot streak from underrated netminder Denis Herron past Buffalo, 4-1.

NCAA Basketball: Let's talk personalities. Kyle Macy may be great, but can he soar? Do you know anything about Joe Barry Carroll or Dewayne Scales? Does anyone know anything about Texas A&M? It's obvious that the premier personality around is Louisville's Darrell Griffith, and it's also obvious that the Cards' 29-3 mark is the best of the remaining teams. Therefore, the obvious conclusion is that Louisville will romp past A&M and Missouri into the final four and go on to win it all. Anyway, if they don't, LSU will...

ECAC Hockey: Clarkson has the power ("Best forwards we've seen this year"--Bill Cleary), but Dartmouth has it all. Bob Gaudet (go ahead, call him overrated) is the best goalie in the east, bar none (well, bar Ron Dennis, maybe). And Ross Brownridge is big. See how sure I am? The Green over Providence in the final, 6-3.

NIT: Who cares? Virginia will probably take it, but wouldn't it be cool if Murray State did?

WBL: Ever hear of Molly Bolin? She plays for the Iowa Cornets, and a press release calls her "the league's pin-up girl." She must be some hoopster, too, because Iowa is 23-12 and she's the league's leading scorer. I wonder where I can buy a pin-up?

NEWPORT JAI-ALAI: Goyo and Churruba in the 5th.