South African Educators Tour American Colleges

Three South African educators will visit Harvard today as the first stop of a nationwide tour investigating educational opportunities for Black South Africans at American colleges.

President Bok, working with the International Institute of Education (IIE) invited the Educational opportunities Committee (EOC) to visit U.S. colleges, Jilda Mortimer, a consultant on the South African program for the IIE, said yesterday.

"The EOC visit is to inform the American academic community of Black South African needs for equal educational opportunities," Mortimer said yesterday.

The delegates are also interested in learning more about educational resources in the United States, and how they relate to the needs of Black South Africans, Mortimer added.

Ezekiel Mphahlele of the African Studies Institute, University of Whitewatersrand; Dr. Peter Hunter, director of special education projects at Whitewatersrand; and John Samuel of the South African Committee of Higher Education are representing the EOC.

The delegates will also visit Boston University, Norhteastern, Indiana, Fisk, Vanderbilt, and the five Amherst area colleges.

The IIE began the program primarily for master's degree candidates, Mortimer said yesterday. She added that the IIE hopes to be able to provide more scholarships to Black South Africans.

No Waste

The educator's visit will help prevent American colleges from preparing unnecessary or inappropriate programs for Black South African students, Lawrence F. Stevens '65, secretary of the Advisory Committee on Shareholder Responsibility, said yesterday.

Stevens added that American educational institutions and foundations need to coordinate their efforts in the programs for Black South African scholarships.

Jobs

The IIE has raised most of its funds through the Sullivan Signatory Corporation, Mortimer said. Sullivan encourages American corporations with business in South Africa to support equal opportunity employment.

Mortimer said Mobil, Exxon, General Electric and Chase Manhattan have contributed to the scholarship fund. She added that other corporations, including General Motors and the Ford Motor Corporation, have pledged their support.