Tung Named to All-Ivy Squad, Places Eighth in Tournament

When you've got your health you've got everything--or so goes the old Geritol adage. But as far as the Harvard women's squash team is concerned, a little health goes a long way.

Filling in for ailing head coach Jack Barnaby, assistant coach Elyse Jacobs took the helm at this weekend's Women's Intercollegiate Squash Racquets Association tournament and guided Becky Tung, Harvard's number one racquet woman, to an impressive eighth-place finish and a spot on this year's All-Ivy team.

Tung, seeded eighth in the tourney, advanced to the third round by stopping top players from the University of Vermont and the University of Washington, scoring 3-0 victories in both matches. She then lost to Pine Manor's Jane Giammattei, the 1979 National Junior Champion.

Dropping into the feed-in consolation bracket, Tung licked her next two opponents, Sally Bachman and Tracy Ball, Yale's number four and number one players.

Jacobs also said that last weekend's performance should assure Tung of an eighth-place national ranking, which a committee of coaches will determine on the basis of the players' overall records and final standings in this tournament. Tung also finished last season ranked eighth in the nation.

Harvard sent three other racquetwomen to the tournament, an individual championship competition which does not record team scores.

Sophomore Courtney Stimpson, in the Crimson's fourth spot, advanced to the second round, dropping Amherst's number one player, Pam Lester. Stimpson then slipped to Yale's Ann Casscells.

Captain Jenny Stone, replacing flubugged freshman Lisa Harrison, disposed of Wesleyan's top scorer Barbara Martin in the first round, then got bumped in five games by Pam Lord, an All-Ivy selection from Brown.

Jackie Corrigan filled in for an unwell second-slotter Sarah Mleczko and ripped her first-round opponent, Wellesley's number one Kim Lake, 3-0.