Third World

cultural backgrounds, irrelevant to our interests, unsympathetic to our needs, and void of an understanding of and interest in our histories," the spokesman added.

A Third World Center, as envisioned by the organization, would provide offices, related facilities, social and academic support to Third World students, and a forum for Third World cultural and organizational activities.

Such a center would also establish "a non-alien, broad-based context for Third World students to interact as legitimate members of the Harvard community," an Organization spokesman added.

The organization has asked Bok for $45,000 to establish and run the center. The facilities of the center would include offices, classrooms, a library, a dance studio, a gallery room, a kitchen, and a large, multi-purpose room for concerts, films, and large meetings.

An organization spokesman, who asked not to be identified, added that "the University is responsible for finding a centrally located, rent-free building for the center." The organization suggested the Varsity Club, 8 Prescott Street, and 12 Holyoke Street to Bok as possible sites.

The spokesman said that the organization proposed a timetable to Bok by which building renovations would be completed in the summer of 1980, and directorship of the center would be assumed in February 1981.

Bok called the proposed timetable "unrealistic," adding that "the issues and problems raised by the proposal are too numerous and complex to be solved at the suggested pace."