Crimson Tennis Squads Split in Weekend Action

Netwomen Crushed

By Gregg F. Clifton

The Harvard women's varsity tennis team suffered its first defeat of the young season Saturday afternoon at Soldiers Field, a frustrating 8-1 loss to the Pennsylvania Quakers.

Despite freshman Tiina Bougas' come-from-behind victory in first singles, the Crimson never displayed the form which keyed its season-debut triumph over Boston University.

Bougas, displaying a combination of base-line strength and forecourt agility, shocked Anne Marie Kleis, the Quakers' number one player. Bougas overcame early flaws which left her trailing, 5-6, in the first set, with eight straight game victories.

Fighting the swirling winds, Bougas modified her game and quickly ended Kleis' thoughts of victory with a 6-0 second set whitewashing.

Following the victory in first singles, the Crimson fortunes turned sour. Second singles performer Martha Roberts was stunned by Wendy Levy in a quick two-set affair, 6-1, 6-2.

The problems continued to mount for the netwomen when steady performer Meg Meyer suffered a critical three-set loss from her third position.

Meyer showed her patient and methodical baseline style early in the match to earn a hard-fought 7-5 first set with, but the captain's fortunates changed quickly in the second set as she was unable to confront Lisa Silverstein's corner-to-corner game plan. Forced out of position, Meyer could not slow down Silverstein's dominating pace, and fell, 6-2.

The third set of this grueling two-hour match did not provide any relief for Meyer, as Silverstein continued to control the tempo and earned a hard-fought 5-7, 6-2, 6-4 three-set win.

The remainder of the singles action sealed the Crimson defeat as the netwomen were unable to notch another victory. Fourth-slotter Abby Meiselman fought back from a first set loss to garner a 6-0 second-set win, but she was unable to continue the trend as she fell in the third set forth a 6-4, 0-6, 6-0 match defeat.

Leslie Miller and Kristen Mertz also succumbed to their number five and six Quaker counterparts. Miller never got untracked, as she was crushed, 6-0, 6-2, by Karen Nyman. Mertz was also handled easily, 6-3, 6-1.