Stickwomen Defeat Brown, Score Sixth Straight Victory

By Michelle D. Healy

For the second year in a row a point separated the Crimson from the pursuing Brown lacrosse squad, but that one point spelled victory for the stickmen who churned out their sixth win in a row, 12-11, Saturday in Providence.

The Harvard offense showcased its ability to score at will with midfielders Pete Predun and Brendan Meagher leading the barrage, each nabbing three goals.

Meagher pumped in the first third of his hat trick just nine seconds into the game, and the Crimson quickly added three more to up their lead to 4-0.

Closing out the Crimson's first quarter scoring was midfielder Vic Kazanjian, who took a pass from Norm Forbush positioned at the point behind and gunned it home at 12:31.

The Crimson opened up the second round of action with Forbush hitting Meagher, who slipped past short-handed Brown and fired one by Meister to stretch the Crimson lead to 6-3.

Brown poured in two more to close in with John Borzilleri putting a rare one by Crimson goalie John Lechner despite the efforts of Harvard's superior man-down defense.

Getting back on the right foot, the stickmen let Borzilleri grab another goal to close out the half, but then roared out and opened the next period with three in a row. Pedroni added two more assists, one to Predun on the man down and another to Meagher.

Unwilling to die, Brown rose yet another time and posted three goals to pull within range at 10-9. During that final half Lechner once again seemed bullet-proof, deflecting most of the shellfire from the Brown offense. Lechner stopped 22 for the game, tying his high posted against Cornell.

After Predun whipped in an unassisted score to finish his hat trick and the period, Brown crept close at the 1:41 mark of the final quarter with Handelman scoring his only goal of the contest.

Deciding the time had come to ice it, middie Rich Doyle scored the Crimson's winning goal. And then one final drive for the Bruins fell a tally short with midfielder Jeff Hacker giving the home team one last marker for a final of 12-11.