Crimson Netwomen Fall to Big Green

Inconsistency Plagues Squad

By Gregg F. Clifton

The Harvard varsity netwomen dropped their second straight in their Ivy League match yesterday afternoon at the Indoor Track and Tennis Building, a heart-breaking 5-4 loss to the Dartmouth Big Green.

Once again, freshman Tiina Bougas got the netwomen off to a good start by defeating Wendy Wasson at first singles, 6-2, 7-5. Playing on the slower indoor surface, Bougas' game was unaffected as she controlled the base-line contest against her surprising Big Green counterpart.

Following Bougas' triumphant first singles match, Martha Roberts suffered a 6-1, 4-6, 6-0 three-set defeat to Pam Banholzer. The Dartmouth second-slotter shocked Roberts' victory hopes by totally dominating the third set for an easy win.

The Crimson victory hopes soon returned on court three when captain Meg Meyer garnered a well-earned three-set triumph over her formidable third-spot challenger.

After a rather uneventful 6-1 whitewashing, Meyer fell upon hard times as Alison Hibbert regained her composure, drubbing Meyer, 6-2. But the skillful Crimson veteran returned to her first-set style to conquer Hibbert, 6-3, for the match.

In the fourth and fifth spots, the Crimson battled through a tough afternoon. Abby Meiselman did not perform up to par as she was handled, 6-2, 6-2 by her Big Green fourth-position opponent. Leslie Miller, after an impressive 7-5 first-set lead, lost her concentration and the match in three sets.

The final singles slot performance by Kristin Mertz evened the match at three victories. Mertz stung her rival in two quick sets, 7-5, 6-3.

For the second straight outing the netwomen were unable to dominate the doubles competition. After a fine first doubles victory from Bougas and Roberts, both the second tandem of Meyer and Patty Vitale and the third duo of Meiselman and Mertz were unable to produce victories which might have swung the match for the squad.

Meyer and Vitale fell in the first set, 6-4, after a quick two-game advantage. The second set was more disappointing as the Big Green tandem triumphed, 6-3.

The crucial and deciding match of the afternoon was decided after a hard-fought first set. Following their 6-4 defeat, Meiselman and Mertz could not rebound and were shut out, 6-0, to seal the doom of the netwomen.