Netwomen End Drought With 9-0 Win

Flawless Play Marks Victory

By Gregg F. Clifton

The Crimson netwomen returned to Palmer Dixon Courts yesterday and duplicated their strong opening day performance as they drubbed the weak Boston College Eagles with ease, 9-0

The win evened the squad's record at 2-2 on its Eastern slate and reversed the malignant fortunes which produced two straight losses.

The match started on a previously unfamiliar note, as all six singles slots swept their opponents to render the doubles results inconsequential.

Top-ranked singles performer Tiina Bougas maintained her domination of the East coast, cremating Kathy Lynch, 6-2, 6-0. Bougas had no difficulties during the match as she controlled her serve and forecourt volleys throughout the two-set triumph.

Wiinner

Bougas received thorough support from her teammates in the other five singles positions, including Martha Roberts at second singles, who recovered from her two-match victory drought.

Roberts meticulously picked apart Eagle Betty Quigley en route to a 6-2, 6-3 slaughter.

Following Roberts's win, junior captain Meg Meyer took the court for her third-spotted encounter. Meyer dissected Mary O'Brien in her usually dependable style, 6-0, 6-2.

With the winning trend already established for the a afternoon, sophomore Abby Meiselman added insult to injury by trouncing Allison Ettinger in two solid sets. Meiselman controlled the action throughout the match, and maintained composure despite some mid-match errors to garner a 6-2, 6-4 victory.

Mauler

Leslie Miller at number five played her best tennis of the season, mauling Karen Santaniello, 6-2, 6-1. Miller's performance underscored her talent as she crunched Santaniello from the first serve to the final volley.

Rounding out the singles shutout was number six Kristin Mertz. The Winthrop House sophomore crushed Duncon Driscoll in the Crimson's easiest win of the day.

Mertz overpowered and outskilled her weaker counterpart, downing the dejected Driscoll, 6-0, 6-1.

After concluding the singles competition in such impressive fashion, the netwomen carried their level of play to the doubles court and three subsequent victories. Bougas and Roberts toyed with their amateur-like opponents and trounced them in two enjoyable sets, 6-1, 6-2.

Whipping

Meyer and Miller whipped the Eagles' second doubles combination in the only match of the day that extended to three sets. The Crimson duo battled back after a 5-7 first set loss to sting Lynch and Santaniello in the final two sets, 6-2, 7-6.

Meiselman and Mertz then finished up the massacre by thwarting the Eagles' last attempt to break the shutout with a straight-set triumph.

The netwomen must now prepare to face Ivy power Yale in Saturday's first road contest of the year.