Big Business Day

The Democratic Socialist Organizing Committee (DSOC) will hold a conference at Harvard this weekend to coordinate student efforts against apartheid, nuclear power and the draft.

Speakers at the conference, which is part of nationwide Big Business Day activities, will try to "Draw attention to the impact of corporate power so that people will think about different structures," Dan A. Lashof '80, a steering committee member of Harvard-Radcliffe DSOC, said yesterday.

Something Different

Noam Chomsky, professor of linguistics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, State Rep. Barney Frank '61 and other speakers will "draw links between issues" that currently involve students and the larger issue of corporate power, Lashof said.

Michael Harrington, DSOC national chairman, will speak on the strategy which students must use to combat particular issues like apartheid, poverty and racism.

On Sunday, student activists in the 1960s, including a participant in 1969's University Hall occupation, will offer their perspectives on the role of students in fighting social problems.

Guy D. Molyneux '81-2, New England DSOC organizer, said yesterday he expects about 400 students to attend the conference. The conference opens Saturday at 9:15 a.m. in Austin Hall at the Law School.