Thinclads Cruise in Tri-Meet; Lenz Sets New Hammer Mark

By Sara J. Nicholas

Last year's tri-meet of Harvard, Brown and Dartmouth was decided by one point, with the Big Green clinching a victory in the final relay event. This year's version, held in Providence Saturday, turned out to be a Crimson cakewalk, as the improved thinclads piled up 108 points to Dartmouth's 57 and host Brown's 38.

The inspired tracksters secured a first in ten of 11 running events, as the Bruins claimed a photo-finish win in the 400 relay. Harvard's field squad came through with evenly distributed depth to insure a rout.

Brown's hard asphalt track, covered with a thin layer of rubber, proved ideal for Crimson hurdlers Chuck Johnson and Kim Stevens, who cruised to victory in the 100 high and 400 intermediate hurdles, recording impressive times.

The event of the day, however, came at the very beginning of the meet as a crowd gathered to watch hammer throwing giants Tim Bruno of Brown and the Crimson's Tom Lenz square off. Tri-captain Lenz topped his Soldiers Field record-breaking toss of last weekend against Northeastern with a heave of 212 feet, smashing the Harvard record by four feet, and any hopes Bruno might have had for victory.

Confidence

With Adam Dixon back in the lineup--he won the 800-meter and 1500-meter events Saturday for the thinclads--and a resounding triumph over the weekend, the tracksters face Sunday's upcoming GBCs with nothing but confidence.