Walzer to Leave Harvard For Institute at Princeton

By Stephen H. Malloy

Michael L. Walzer, professor of Government, told Harvard this week he will leave the University next year for a permanent position at the Institute for Advanced Studies in Princeton, N.J.

"Harvard is not an easy place to leave, but this is a chance to do some reading and writing that I can't get here," Walzer said, adding that the Institute facilitates scholarly work by providing extraordinary conditions, secretarial help and freedom from teaching obligations.

While a professor in the school of Social Science at the Institute does not usually teach, Walzer said he "hopes to teach from time to time."

"It is the highest kind of professorial position one can get," Sidney Verba, chairman of the Government Department, said yesterday. It is the "most prestigious research institute in the United States" with only three professors in all the social sciences, Verba added.

Till Death Do Us Part

Walzer's wife, Judith B. Walzer, assistant dean of the College and senior tutor of South House, said yesterday she will also leave Harvard next year, but her employment plans are undecided.

"It is a wonderful opportunity. There are no obligations but to be there and think and write," Verba said, adding that Walzer will enjoy more flexibility without teaching and committee responsibilities.

"This is a great loss and all of us are saddened by it," Verba said. Walzer one of the few people who have a deep understanding of both philosophical issues and politics, he said.

Ethical Politics

In replacing Walzer, Verba said the department will consider applicants specializing in the general field of ethical analysis of political problems. "Walzer is a creative thinker in the ethics of politics," Verba said.

So Long, Mr. Nice Guy

"Walzer is the best political theorist in America and a great guy," Judith N. Shklar, professor of Government, said yesterday, adding. "We hate to see him go."