Clouds by Any Other Name

LAST WEEK's leak of toxic gas in Somerville after a railroad crash did more than irritate eyes--it set to rest the misguided notion that it is somehow possible to evacuate an urban area quickly in an unanticipated emergency.

The police and firefighting forces from dozens of communities were on the scene almost instantly Thursday, and they worked hard all day. But despite their efforts, it proved difficult to evacuate even a ten-square-block area of Somerville. Police cars cruising the streets announced the order to evacuate in English to a largely Spanish-speaking community. Many of those in the Somerville neighborhoods in danger had no transportation. And for those who owned cars, getting out proved almost as difficult--Metropolitan District Police barricaded most major thoroughfares near the accident. Many downwind of the leak were exposed during the morning hours. As late as 90 minutes after the crash, workers in one insulation plant were only beginning to emerge into the hazy streets.

The phosphorous trichloride gas released in the accident apparently injured few seriously. But had it been something else--say radiation released from a nuclear plant in the case of a meltdown--the damage would have been incalculable. Radiation would be much harder than toxic gas to combat--on Thursday, at least, workers had a clearly visible localized cloud. Those in danger could smell the gas, and there were comparatively safe places to flee, refuges that would be much harder to find in the event of radiation release. Thursday's accident demonstrated Boston's--and any other city's--vulnerability.