Searching the Right Way

ARNOLD C. HARBERGER, chairman of the economics department at the University of Chicago, last week turned down President Bok's offer of the directorship of the Harvard Institute for International Development (HIID), leaving Bok to start the search process anew. This time around, Bok should do it right.

In appointing Harberger, Bok conducted a search by appointing an all-white committee to come up with candidates. Then Bok made the decision without consulting either the HIID Faculty Council or HIID fellows.

Bok should appoint some Third World members to the committee this time. He should also abide by the HIID charter, which states that the Faculty Council "shall consider all matters requiring or likely to require the action of or attention of the President and the Corporation." The charter also states the "Corporation appointments in the Institute" shall be "within the purview of the council."

HIID fellows must live with Bok's choice and it seems only proper for him to ask their advice before reaching a decision.