NiHiLism

Playoff Predix

By Laurence S. Grafstein and Jim Hershberg

PHILADELPHIA vs. EDMONTON: Despite a mild late-season slump, tough-guy turned coach-of-the-year candidate Pat Quinn and his charges, led by a core of reliable veterans (Barber, Clarke, Leach, MacLeish (and blossoming youngsters (Linseman, Propp), topped the NHL. Oilers have the Great Gretzky but not the retzky, yet will snatch a win on home ice to lose in four.

BUFFALO vs. VANCOUVER: Scotty Bowman proved he could take a team other than the Canadiens and make it work, but whether the magic will extend into the play-offs remains an open question. Nevertheless, the Sabres should sweep the Canucks, whose specialty is penalty minutes rather than offense or defense.

MONTREAL vs. HARTFORD: A hockey fan's spectacular--Howe (Gordie etc.), Hull, Keon, Lafleur, Shutt, Robinson, not to mention 56-goal phenom Blaine Stoughton. The competition might not be so hot, but it will be fun watching the Habs sink the Whalers in three.

BOSTON vs. PITTSBURGH: Yawn. Yawn. Yawn. Next? If you have to miss any Bruin play-off games, this is your big opportunity. Penguins can surprise but won't, while Bruins have kicked the habit of chocking in opening rounds since their 1975 disaster against Chicago. Four Harry Sinden yawns.

ISLANDERS vs. LOS ANGELES: In an attempt to reverse the pattern of the past few years, the Islanders suffered through a mediocre season in hopes of saving their best hockey for the play-offs. Dionne, Simmer and Taylor are still imposing, but psyched New Yorkers, helped by Butch Gorings and unloading Billy Harris, will guillotine Kings in three.

MINNESOTA vs. TORONTO: Scrappy play and improved teamwork made the North Stars a genuine threat this year--they ended the Flyers' 33-game unbeaten streak with a 7-1 trouncing reshuffled Maple Leafs swerved below .500, yet savvy competitors like Sittler, Paiement, Salmin and Hickey will make this series go five. A toss-up.

CHICAGO vs. ST. LOUIS: Two teams that will not go far. Chicago is a grey, lifeless mass, while St. Louis abounds in spirit but not talent. We'll go with the Blues in four, capped by a Checkerdome celebration and maybe even a sell-out.

RANGERS vs. FLAMES: The Flames are fighting to stay in Atlanta and vanquish ghosts of post-seasons--five straight opening round failures--past. The Rangers (who haven't beaten Atlanta at Madison Square Garden in nine tries), looking to repeat last year's trip to the finals, will douse the Flames in three hard fought contests. Or maybe not.